Putting America back to work.
The current premise:
– stressed unemployment benefits
– Small business owners reluctant to employ
It’s the same story for all the unemployed. Resumes are submitted every single day to no avail. Small business owners are reluctant to employ as they themselves are tight on resources, although, they could use a few extra hands. Meanwhile, the unemployed still collect unemployment checks from the government.
Here’s the premise:
Ursula had been laid off from her marketing position. She sends resume’s everyday, but barely receives any callbacks. In the meantime, she continues to collect unemployment benefit checks issued by the government.
Bob is a small business owner. His business can has been slow for quite sometime, he could use some extra help marketing his business, he’s weary of the costs associated of employing a full time marketing person and the additional strain it would put on his business.
Here’s the proposal:
Bob should put out a “help required” post but under a program called – ‘Volunteer to Work‘. The ‘To Work’ has pun intended. Ursula acts upon the posting and leverages her expertise in the marketing field to maintain / grow Bob’s business.
Here are the benefits for Ursula.
– She is doing something more than just sending out resumes, in fact, the side venture will actually help plug work gaps on the resume. It shows a potential employer her determination to work vs. submitting resumes and waiting for a call.
- She has a point to prove that her skills will indeed help Bob in his business and probably get gainful employment from him in the future.
- She continues to collect unemployment paychecks from the government.
The benefits to Bob:
- mitigate the risk of hiring a new employee during the weak business cycle
- no payroll taxes, no medical benefits, in short – Free labor
- A worker who is motivated to prove a point, yearning to become an employee.
The optimum Outcome:
- Bob’s business starts to grow due to the marketing efforts of Ursula. He recognizes her input and in 3 months times makes her a permanent offer.
- Ursula discovers the entrepreneurial spirit within her and becomes a marketing freelancer.
Benefits to the economy:
- The government gives out unemployment checks as “Productive money” vs. lame duck money.
- Creating chances for people to get employed reducing the strain on the government.
My take: Granted, that this is not an overnight solution, but it’s a start.